New Gallery

Home Bilder

Home Bilder

About Terento

he name Terento is derived from the Latin term torrentum (=mountain torrent). It was first mentioned in an ancient document of the Freising Monastery. Earl Otto from Andechs entrusted four farms in Terento (“in monte Torento hobas IIII”) to Bishop Gottschalk of Freising. This name of the village dates back to 994 – 1005. Around 1000, the name “mons Terrentum” was first mentioned. It is certain though, that Terento was already populated in prehistoric times, which can also be proven thanks to certain findings and the remains of walls at geographically interesting places like S. Zeno, Pflanger and Pürgstallkopf. The so-called “Witches’ Stone“ (Hexenstein), a bowel-stone in the Winnebach Valley is more than likely a prehistoric source of sanctum too.

Settlement activities increased with the conquering of the Bajuvari, the ancient Bavarians, at the beginning of the 7th century. Most of the single-farm settlements are likely to date back to this period. Up to the 12th century Terento was part of Nordital County. Following the separation of the then existing courts, Terento switched over from Rodengo Court to Schöneck Court.

Terenten/Terento
Altitude:
1.210 m
Inhabitants
1.600
Guest beds:
1.300
Community surface area:
4252 Hektar
Village parts of Terento:
Talson, Holderloch, Marga, Pino, Col Alto, Montesole, Lasta, Monteneve, Colle